This week’s cake is chocolate and apple cake. Very nice and egg free. Thanks to Emily and Donna for the recipe.
- 4oz butter (softened)
- 8oz caster sugar
- 1lb stewed apples (so about 1 1/2lb uncooked beforeÂ peeling and coring)
- 8oz self raising flour
- 1/2 oz cocoa (I think I doubled both cocoa quantities!)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Some cinnamon and nutmeg (I just guessed)
The original recipe also suggested raisins, but the person I got this from said that it is better without but it is personal opinion
- 5oz butter
- 4 tbs cocoa (again I used 8!!)
- 5oz icing sugar sifted (I used fondant icing to make it smoother)
- 3 tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Grease a tin (doesn’t really matter what size or shape, but you may want to double quantities if it is a big tin).
- Peel and core apples and put in the microwave until stewed (about 6 mins in mine).
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg to butter and sugar (don’t think you need to mix this particularly but it can go in the same bowl).
- When apples are stewed and have cooled slightly, add bicarbonate of soda to them and stir whilst it grows, then add to the other ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Bake for about 30-40 mins (I would check it isn’t getting burnt at 30 mins).
- Slowly melt butter in a pan.
- Add cocoa to butter, turn up heat a bit and cook for about a minute.
- Add icing sugar and stir so there aren’t any lumps.
- Very soon the texture will go yucky and you will think that it has gone wrong. Don’t worry – this is where you add the milk.
- Stir until it is smooth and remove from heat to cool.
- Don’t ice the cake until it has cooled as the icing is quite runny and it won’t stay on the cake!
- Om nom nom nom